Monday, March 15, 2010

Follow-ups

Climategate

On six different occasions since November 2008, I have written about my skepticism when it comes to global warming. In the fifth of those posts, I wrote about emails that were exchanged between scientists who had been hailed as global warming experts. The emails showed they were concealing evidence that was not supportive of global warming, and that they were discussing ways to thwart freedom of information laws. Since I published that post, it has come out that the MSM was previously aware of the scandal (and of other doubts regarding quality of data) but chose not to report it. To read about that, go here and here.


The Olympics

Last month I did a fair amount of flag-waving while writing about the Olympics, so I might as well offer some final thoughts. First, we Americans should be very proud of the results because we did much better than we ever have in a Winter Games. It was the first time we have finished with the most overall medals. However, after what I said about Apolo Anton Ohno, I would be a hypocrite if I didn’t admit that Canada should be considered the country that “won” the Olympics. The whole purpose of sports is to come in first (i.e., to win gold, not silver or bronze) and Canada won the most golds, including the all-important one in men’s hockey, despite having a population that is about 90 percent smaller than ours.


Iraq

Call this one a prospective follow-up. My previous post discussed how the facts are suggesting that George W. Bush is more likely to be proved right about Iraq than his critics. Although I made it abundantly clear I was taking about the success of our mission and not our reasons for going into Iraq in the first place, I now feel obliged to remark about the latter because of comments that have been made about my post (one made on this blog, and a few made elsewhere). Ideally, I will write that post by the end of this month, but because I have higher priorities, I will more likely do it in April.


Medical Care

Between August and November of last year I wrote four separate pieces about “American medical care and the government’s attempts to meddle in it,” and needless to say, the gist was that I was against Obamacare. I am still against it in all its constantly shifting forms, but have not written anything else about it for the simple reason that an overwhelming majority of Americans agree with me.

Yes, Obama and the Democrat leadership have made it clear that they intend to damn the people’s will and ram Obamacare through regardless, perhaps as soon as this week. But the political machinations involved are changing so quickly and being covered so well by others that I haven’t commented about them, simply because I know I would be a step behind.

In the interest of being informative, however, I recommend this piece from National Review Online if you feel uninformed about the current machinations. And for a refresher on why Obamacare is a bad idea, check out this one by James Capretta and this one from Investor's Business Daily.


And on a final and lighter note, Wednesday is St. Patrick’s Day, so indulge your inner Irishness -- real or imagined -- by eating and drinking and being merry.

No comments: