Monday, November 8, 2010

College Football Ten Weeks In

First, I must tip my hat to Joe Paterno for earning his 400th victory. He has always done it the right way: 61 years as a coach at the same school, including 45 as the head coach, with only five losing seasons. The game has never passed him by, and let's not forget that his teams have always had high graduation rates. Joe Paterno embodies what college athletics are supposed to be, and I doubt there will ever be another coach like him.

Next, I must identify my top twenty teams. Keeping such a list in first-second-third order, updated after each week's results, can be challenging after weeks like the one that just ended. What are you to do when teams you think highly of, and have been giving high rankings to, get trounced at home? But whatever...I have been posting the Stanton's Space Top Twenty for several weeks now and I am not going to stop, so here it is:

1. Oregon

2. Auburn

3. TCU

4. Boise State

5. Wisconsin

6. LSU

7. Ohio State

8. Stanford

9. Nebraska

10. Alabama

11. Iowa

12. Arkansas

13. Michigan State

14. Oklahoma State

15. Mississippi State

16. Missouri

17. Texas A&M

18. Oklahoma

19. Arizona

20. Utah

No comments: