Thursday, January 15, 2009

Still Finer in Carolina

As hard as it is given the Blagojevich affair, the Geithner affair, the MSM's Obasmic Love Fest, and the way the MSM scolds Israel for defending itself while ignoring Hamas terrorism, I am keeping my pledge to not comment on politics until after next week's coronati...er, inauguration.


So this post touches on one of my biggest passions:  traveling. After all, my focus on politics is not because I like politics, but because I know we have to be focused on government if we are going to keep it under control, and we have to keep it under control to stay free, and we have to stay free in order to pursue our dreams.


But back to traveling. I recently published a post that talked up my family's cabin in North Carolina. What it didn't mention is that the road to the cabin calls for four-wheel drive even in perfect weather. Since we became parents, this detail has caused Erika and I to forgo the cabin when we're traveling with Sarah in the winter, but this has been good in the sense that it has led us to an ideal vacation rental called Cataloochee Mountain Cabin. I highly recommend it if you're looking for a place to spend some down time and recharge your batteries. The owners are wonderful, and considering what you get for the price, it is a bargain. Its website is here and you can read my January 2008 review on its testimonials page.

 

We recently took our second trip to Cataloochee Mountain Cabin, staying from December 27th through January 3rd to ring in the New Year.  It wasn't as snowy as last January, but Sarah still got to see snow at the nearby ski lodge...




And lick icicles along the nearby Blue Ridge Parkway...





And on a day trip from the cabin to Asheville, barely more than a half-hour away, she got to go ice skating for the first time...




Plus, she got to feed donkeys...



Whether you are a family or a couple or a single person looking for an escape, I recommend you go there. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Although I somehow missed the MSM Obama Love Fest, thankfully I did not miss out on a wonderful trip to the Cataloochee Cabin with you guys. I still need to post my pics. Thanks for reminding me to blog about our adventure.

I heart Cataloochee Cabin! :-)